Food Development and Security
Connecting you with cutting edge expertise in food development, production and security.
Imperial Consultants (ICON) have delivered numerous projects for public and private sector clients, international organisations and regulatory bodies. Projects can be delivered by individual specialists, topic related departments within Imperial or by multi-disciplinary groups.
Our breadth of services and solutions include...
Food Security and Management
- Computer modelling of crop production and the climate, based on fundamental science and informed by observations.
- Computer models of crop diseases and pests, such as the Fusarium Ear Blight which impacts staple crops (wheat, maize and rice), in conjunction with climate models for specific regions to estimate changes in risk.
- Natural resource management (for example fisheries), environmental risk management and international development.
- Application equipment for pesticides for Vector Control.
FOOD STRUCTURE AND SENSORY INSIGHTS
- Material modelling and mechanical characterisation of soft polymeric solids in foods to understand how changes in food structure impact the sensory experience.
FOOD MANUFACTURING AND PACKAGING
- Numerical modelling of industrial food processes such as rolling, extrusion and cutting.
- Predicting the behaviour of 3D printed materials.
- Smart design tools for additive manufacturing.
- Food technology and production.
- Production and analysis of sustainable, low CO2 impact, recyclable materials to transform food packaging.
- The role of dietary carbohydrates on appetite regulation, insulin resistances, lipid metabolism, body composition and appetite regulation.
- The role of nutrients in the secretion of appetite regulating peptides and the basic nutritional physiology involved in energy balance.
- Undertaking clinical trials to reduce the risk of malnutrition in the elderly and hospitalised.
- The cellular microbiology of pathogens such as E. coli, Legionella, Salmonella.
- Measuring the impact of drinking water salinity on population health.
- Controlling salinity in drinking water sources in response to impacts of climate change.
- Disinfection of opportunistic pathogens found in tap water plus plant-derived biocides as potential alternative disinfectants.
- Measuring occurrence of and controlling antibiotic-resistant pathogens in drinking water.